Phase 4 Phonics Activities
The focus of phase 4 is for children to segment and blend words containing four sounds Consonant, Vowel, Consonant, Consonant (CVCC) Eg. lamp, milk, shelf, tent, paint, vest, nest and CCVC words such as plum, black, frog, flag & flick.
To help your child to become confident when de-coding these words, please play the following games:
- Hangman using CVCC or CCVC words.
- Complete the Phase 4 word search.
- Play ‘Read and Race’.
- Play Phase 4 Snakes & Ladders.
- Cut out words and pictures, play a matching pairs game. Once children are familiar with the cards, use 6 pictures & corresponding words to play the memory game by placing cards face down in 4 rows of 3. Who can find the most number of matching pairs?
- Circle the word that matches the picture.
- Cut out the pictures & captions. Look at the pictures and discuss with your child what they can see. Read through the captions, can your child match the caption to the correct picture?